Monday, June 10, 2013
Monday, April 8, 2013
Painted with a limited palette in Photoshop for weekly art challenges on tumblr.
"Alright, I draw fanart very seldomly - usually I have the feeling I fail to capture the characters’ essence. So I hope it’s ok to post this here.
Today I finished watching Shin Sekai Yori (From the New World) and I realy liked the latest ‘development’. This is the fiend/messiah. In a field of… tall grass…
Technically, I tried to stay with karniz’ rule not to use mixed-up colours, but picked from the original palette most of the times, using the standard brush at Normal mode with lowered flow."
With a limited palette that doesn't have black and white I find it difficult to go lighter and darker in particular areas, so it was challenging to not muck up the midtones to make highlights and darks.
Wednesday, April 3, 2013
Thursday, March 21, 2013
Tuesday, March 19, 2013
Saturday, March 16, 2013
Thursday, March 14, 2013
Lately I'm into Hamamelidaceae (e.g. witch hazel). They are beautiful and appear to be somewhat archaic.
Saturday, March 9, 2013
And I still dig the "event file" function.
I had to pimp the colours and stars in Photoshop afterwards, because lately I'm into oversaturated colours.
Tuesday, March 5, 2013
Tuesday, February 26, 2013
Sunday, February 24, 2013
Tuesday, February 19, 2013
Wednesday, January 23, 2013
Sunday, January 13, 2013
Friday, January 4, 2013
almost never use masked fill or adjustment layers as much as in this picture. But they turned out nice - maybe I should use them more often??
In this case I only have a jpg-file. My newer photographs are all shot in RAW, so I can get the best out of every pixel before messing with artsy stuff in photoshop.
I add an adjustment layer Vibrance. One of my favourite features within the new versions of the software.
I could stop here. The train pops out enough and the overall feeling is nice. Warm despite the snow. But I'm not pleased yet with the lighting of the snow. And I want an overall more surreal colouring. So I have to take other measures.
I selected the blue channel and filled the selection with blue on a new layer.
I selected the red channel and filled a new layer with red. I masked the layer where I already had the blue Overlay, so the two wouldn't cancel themselves out.
This way I achieved a high contrast between the reddish light on the snow and the snow that's only hit by global lighting from the blue sky above.
Now, the sky in the picture is not blue, but only because we only see the portion of sky that is coloured warmer due to the setting sun.
I masked off most of the upper third of the blue Overlay, because I need the sky really warm. Additionally I use a gradient adjustment layer on Soft Light to warm up all the upper part of the background.
Thinking so much about it, maybe I bumped the intensity a bit too much? The reds of the locomotive are all 100% saturated... I try to avoid 100% of anything when editing photographs. I don't like to play around for hours and I don't like to undo steps entirely, so I use adjustment and fill layers and masks a lot, where I can always change parts without starting all over.
If I'm in doubt, sometimes it helps me to review my editing a few days later. Sometimes I like it initially or think a little levels adjustment suffices and then weeks later I have an idea how to really get the best out of a photograph. Sometimes I don't like it at all, but I'm fed up and post it anyway. :-D
The locomotive's name is Ernie, btw.
Tuesday, January 1, 2013
Monday, December 31, 2012
Although some time passed since I finished the video, I still can't judge if it is any good.
When I started to make the first scenes, I didn't plan to do a 'whole' film at all. I just wanted to make my drawings move. I drew a simple and featureless character. I wanted to see if I can teach myself some animation... but after some days, my character evolved and I wanted it to become more and planned scenes until I even found a nice ending.
I made a .psd file for every scene, mostly drawing every single frame by hand, using copy and paste sometimes (the final film is made up from 1012 frames). Since I only had Photoshop, and no experience in layering animations, it isn't very elaborate to the eye, but it was very exhausting to draw it and this and the lack of a proper soundtrack kept me from starting a new thing ever since.
Here are some of the .psds, flatted and some stills.