M y b l o g f o r e v e r y t h i n g . E v e r y t h i n g a p a r t f r o m m y a u t o b i o g r a p h i c c o m i c .

Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Drizzt Do'Urden


I was a little afraid of this painting, but once I started I somehow got into the flow.

First I made some perspective drawings - I always thought, perspective was scary, but there are only a few rules you need to follow and everything will be fine. I the studies I only used one-point perspective, but for the image it looked better with three-point. Working digitally is again really wonderful in this regard.


When I had my grids and rough castle design, the next tricky thing was the character's pose, I really struggled with it like "how did he get up there?" "is it even possible to stand on such a sloping roof?"... etc. I had to correct this and that in the later phase when I rendered Drizzt. Had to resize him drastically to make it look less ridiculous.

I screwed up the composition, but didn't want to begin anew. In the end I tried to fix it by mirroring the picture (thank gods, he has a symmetrical design!) and choosing a more narrow crop.

I'm particularly happy with the character and his cloak and swords, though I never read the books or played Dungeons&Dragons. I could only draw him with the help of the still-SOPA-free Internet.


I used no textures and almost no special brushes in this, mostly I switched between two standard brushes.


No comments: