M y b l o g f o r e v e r y t h i n g . E v e r y t h i n g a p a r t f r o m m y a u t o b i o g r a p h i c c o m i c .

Pages

Saturday, January 28, 2012

fast forward


when it comes to gouache, my brushstrokes are that of a 5-year-old...

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Drizzt Do'Urden


I was a little afraid of this painting, but once I started I somehow got into the flow.

First I made some perspective drawings - I always thought, perspective was scary, but there are only a few rules you need to follow and everything will be fine. I the studies I only used one-point perspective, but for the image it looked better with three-point. Working digitally is again really wonderful in this regard.


When I had my grids and rough castle design, the next tricky thing was the character's pose, I really struggled with it like "how did he get up there?" "is it even possible to stand on such a sloping roof?"... etc. I had to correct this and that in the later phase when I rendered Drizzt. Had to resize him drastically to make it look less ridiculous.

I screwed up the composition, but didn't want to begin anew. In the end I tried to fix it by mirroring the picture (thank gods, he has a symmetrical design!) and choosing a more narrow crop.

I'm particularly happy with the character and his cloak and swords, though I never read the books or played Dungeons&Dragons. I could only draw him with the help of the still-SOPA-free Internet.


I used no textures and almost no special brushes in this, mostly I switched between two standard brushes.


Tuesday, January 24, 2012

more drawings from observation


click image to see larger

and I tried to make an analysis afterwards





and also this, I noticed in the thumb that the shadow areas are too bright:

Monday, January 23, 2012

Thursday, January 19, 2012

teeth themed artfolio pieces, part 3



Gouache on watercolour paper. Grrrar! Bare your teeth! Wait, no, I meant: smiiiile! Argh, so painful!

I forgot, how I titled these...


Tuesday, January 17, 2012

three life stills





I find it easier to draw from life than to draw from photo reference... O_o

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Pinup WIP




Cleaning up my stuff from last year, I found this piece I wanted to post here since I finished it, but not without the work in progress. It was my most elaborate painting in 2011 and I strictly used one method. Usually tend to draw and paint chaotically, no matter if foreground or background, detail or not, adding another layer every half an hour if I feel the need; without system.




In this pinup - done for a challenge on conceptart.org - I made orderly layers for every object here, sometimes more layers if needed, for the details in the glass or the shelf. Collapsing layers whenever I could or else the background alone would be 3 or 4 layers.

Also I used the selection tool often. Now the edges look very clean and sharp, nothing I usually desire, but I allowed myself to leave it like this rather than going over everything again in the end.

This flatting or block-in method I learned from Anne, for whose comics I've been doing flats for over a year, now. I always thought this method was a bit too restricting to me, too far from traditional painting and only Hannes's shared .psd-files finally got me to use it.



first sketch in Sai


constructing a chair -_-'


doing a background sketch


background block-in, futile tries to do the hair, cutting off the hand, because something's wrong with it O_=, shading the skin (trying to use all the stuff I have learned)


another hairdo (looks too much like a wig), shading the apron, shoes, tray and wood (all painted, no textures)


And some Details at 100%. Wonky bottles. I didn't paint too large because my computer doesn't like large. For the same reason I used almost only standard brushes (edited default brushes).

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

teeth themed artfolio pieces, part 2


Too late to wish you a happy new year (I secretly did in my head, ufufufu).
Here again are some pieces from my teeth portfolio.

These two drawings were done with ink and brush. I'm proud I didn't need white ink. The two fit together. I digitally saw them together. But they are actually meant to be apart.


Wurzel (root)


Krone (crown)




I wish I had practised with markers before I did these three. Now it looks more like oversized storyboards. The title is Wurzelbehandlung (root canal treatment) 1, 2, 3.